How to Pray for Our Global Partners
1. PRAY FOR OPEN DOORS.
"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message..." (Colossians 4:2, 3 NIV).
- Open doors can't be taken for granted. Many missionaries work in restricted access countries, or areas which are resistant to the Gospel. And even where there are open doors, hearts may still not be open.
- Pray that God will lead missionaries through the barriers to find hearts prepared to receive His Word.
- Pray that the Lord will open doors of ministry, blessing partnership and friendships.
- Pray that those who serve will be led by the Holy Spirit and recognize these opportunities.
2. PRAY FOR BOLDNESS IN WITNESSING.
"Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel" (Ephesians 6:19 NIV). Missionaries need spiritual boldness to witness just like we do in our own culture but even more so in reaching out to another culture.
- Pray that they would overcome barriers and build bridges to effectively reach people who live in diverse cultures and speak different languages.
- Pray for boldness to overcome the opposition of evil forces.
- Pray for boldness to overcome the fear of man, the fear of embarrassment, and the fear of failure.
3. PRAY THAT THE WORD OF GOD WILL SPREAD WITHOUT HINDRANCE.
"Finally, dear brothers and sisters, I ask you to pray for us. Pray first that the Lord's message will spread rapidly and be honored wherever it goes..." (2 Thessalonians 3:1 NLT). Obstacles must be removed if the Word of God is to flow freely. Remember that the struggle is against spiritual forces which can attack in any area (Ephesians 6:10-18).
Pray that Satan, who is determined to hinder the spread of the Word, would be resisted (James 4:7).
- Pray that like Aaron and Hur supported the arms of Moses in the battle, our prayers would support weary missionaries in the spiritual warfare of life and ministry (Exodus 17:12).
Pray that the preaching and teaching of the Bible would be received and honored for what it actually is - the very Word of God, which also performs its work in those who believe (1 Thessalonians 2:13).
4. PRAY FOR PROTECTION.
"Pray, too, that we will be saved from wicked and evil people, for not everyone believes in the Lord" (2 Thessalonians 3:2 NLT).
Pray that God will keep the Christian workers safe from those who might seek to harm them.
Pray that God will change the hearts of those who are resistant to His Word and those who share the gospel.
5. PRAY THAT THEIR MINISTRY WILL BE ACCEPTED BY BELIEVERS.
"Pray...that my service in Jerusalem will be acceptable to the saints there" (Romans 15:31 NIV). Cooperation and partnership are essential to ministry and vital to the progress of the work.
Pray that the missionary's ministry and attitudes will be worthy of acceptance and that fellow colleagues and believers will be supportive.
6. PRAY FOR GOD'S GUIDANCE AND ASSISTANCE IN TRAVEL.
"Pray...so that by God's will I may come to you with joy" (Romans 15:32 NIV). Many missionaries travel frequently and the mode of transportation varies. Traveling often involves stressful situations.
- Pray for the protection, provision, timing and permission needed by missionaries as they travel.
7. PRAY FOR REFRESHMENT.
"Pray that...I together with you may be refreshed" (Romans 15:32 NIV).
Pray that missionaries will seek and receive refreshment from the Holy Spirit.
Pray that they will be disciplined in and rewarded through the study of God's Word and through faithful prayer.
Pray that they will experience rich, spiritual fellowship with other believers.